Sunday, March 16, 2008

Challenge - Movement

This month's challenge is to capture movement. I did a few things to achieve this, one is panning. Panning is where I set my shutter speed to a lower speed, perhaps 1-2 seconds, and follow a moving object after I've fired the shutter. The picture is open for those 1-2 seconds so the moving object should be in focus (or somewhat close) and everything around it should be blurry. You're suppose to see that it's moving.
Photobucket
It was an adrenaline rush to be this close to a moving train as it passed me. The force of it's weight and size shook the ground around me. Again, I practiced panning.
Photobucket
Photobucket

In these pictures, I slowed the shutter speed down to capture the light streaks.
Photobucket
Photobucket

Another technique to cause motion is to take the picture while zooming in or out. I don't think you can do this with a regular point-and-shoot camera. You need to do it manually with the lens.
Photobucket

4 comments:

Misty said...

If you get a chance to shoot the blue bridge again, I'd recommend lowering your ISO way down to 100 or 200. With a tripod, you don't have to worry about the long shutter speed and it'll produce a much clearer and more striking image. It's still my favorite of the group, though!

Sonja said...

Ahhh, I uploaded the wrong one. Okay, it's fixed and you're right - it's clearer. Only this one is 400 ISO rather than the 3600 ISO I had up originally.

Misty said...

Much nicer! I like!

Unknown said...

I love the tree shot! Too cool! And the train wheel is awesome!